Reporting to the Head of the Sustainability Group, the Sustainability Associate will be responsible for assisting the team with a variety of workflows and projects across Impact Investing, ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance), and Shareholder Advocacy. This is a unique opportunity within the sustainable investing industry to learn from practitioners across the “three legs of the stool”. The role requires an individual that has a passion for sustainability, thrives collaborating with a multi-disciplinary team, has strong attention to detail, exhibits excellent analytical and communication skills, and is nimble, self-directed, and able to meet tight deadlines. Integrity, discretion and respect for confidential information are absolutely essential.
- Assist in managing the impact investment process, performing tasks including but not limited to: managing impact investing transaction proposals, reconciling positions and income, and facilitating monthly status meetings between the Sustainability Group and Investment Operations teams.
- Partner with the Impact Investing & Governance Specialist as liaison for the office and the community development financial institutions (CDFIs) with whom we interact.
- Support ESG data and analysis to inform ongoing research and direct corporate engagements.
- Identify and create clear, compelling, and engaging materials summarizing ESG attributes, risks, and performance, to be used with clients and prospective clients.
- Track relevant news, regulatory developments, policies, and corporate practices relating to community development and sustainability.
- Maintain research directories and document databases.
- Support quarterly portfolio and performance reporting.
Requirements and Qualifications
- Up to 3 years’ relevant work experience in a professional services environment. Recent graduates will be considered with relevant internship experience and/or coursework.
- Desirable academic backgrounds include (but are not limited to) sustainability, finance, economics, environmental science, or social sciences.
- Experience working at or with credit unions, banks, cooperatives, or similar community development entities is desirable but not required.
- Strong passion for sustainability, Socially Responsible Investing, and/or ESG issues
- Familiarity with ESG data and related frameworks
- Comfort with quantitative and qualitative research and analysis
- Proficiency in MS Excel, Word and PowerPoint required; experience with Bloomberg, FactSet, or other data platforms desirable
- Effective communication skills, particularly writing
- Deep curiosity and willingness to learn and take on new areas of job responsibilities
- Consistent and strong follow-up skills with high attention to detail
Reporting & Work Requirements
The Sustainability Associate will report to the Head of the Sustainability Group and will work closely with other members of the Sustainability team in supporting the office in its entirety. This position is non-exempt and is required to work Monday through Friday. It may necessitate flexibility in hours, from time to time, with little or no advance notice. The Sustainability Associate position is based in Boston, MA.
The Sustainability Associate position is eligible to participate in the Remote Workplace Program, allowing for in-office and remote working ability. Remote work and in-office work requirements are subject to change and are evaluated as part of the firm’s Remote Workplace Program.
Please email a resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
This job description does not constitute an employment agreement between the employer and employee, and is subject to change by the employer, as the needs of the employer and requirements of the job change.